Search This Blog

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Weekly report 1-4-9

Hello Everyone,

This week dealt mainly with layoff issues. As most of you may know we lost 10 people from Dulles through the secondary bumps. These individuals have started to receive their paper package from the company already, and will work their last day on Saturday January 24th. If anyone would like to know how the process unfolded I will explain it to you. There were more questions about the Consent Decree this week. Thanks to Larry Calhoun, IBT Coordinator from New York, there is now a summary of the amended decree on the website. It can be found here.

For MM, in addition to the individuals bumped we are also seeing an increase in manpower of 29 people. From what I understand there will be openings on all shifts so please update your preferences in ESS. Two grievances were elevated to the second step last week and hearings have not yet been scheduled. The third step for improper layoff has not been scheduled despite many attempts, including a face to face meeting in San Francisco. This is an ongoing problem and the IBT lawyer is working to help us remedy the issue. I will review all of our options with Bob Luciano. This is also an excellent area for improvement in the agreement, and I will be making the appropriate proposals, and I hope to see many proposals on the grievance procedure from you as well.

For GQ/PV this week each department now reports to a new manager. I am familiar with the new manager for GQ but as yet I have not met the new PV manager.

For GQ I was told by one of the members on Friday that the company has not lived up to the previous agreement regarding the bid forms. I will follow up on that this week.

For PV I will be looking for the new manager to schedule the open second step. In addition a Steward informed me that the company is reneging on the vacation rules so I will address this with the new manager as well.

This weekend I added several Industry Agreements to the website bringing the total to 34. They can be found here. If you see something you would like to have added to our agreement you can then fill in a proposal form and submit it at the Craft Meeting on the 14th of January in Conference Room B of the Airport Managers Office. You can also drop them off at the committee office located at D10.

I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy New Year.

That's all for this week,
Bob