Search This Blog

Friday, August 30, 2013

Labor Day



My wife passed an article on to me titled “Combatting Negative Views of Unions: A Defense of Labor Studies”. The article was written several years ago by Victor G. Devinatz a professor of management in the Department of Management and Quantitative Methods at Illinois State University. He taught courses in labor relations and human resource management at the time this article was written. Here is a link to the article.

Professor Devinatz opines that it is time the history of the labor movement as well as what unions currently do should be taught in schools. This is a proposition I wholeheartedly endorse. The declining middle class can be linked directly back to a decline in the unionized workforce in this country. As the professor explains why this type of education is needed, he spells out why unionized workers are mostly thought of in disparaging ways. He points out that given union density it is unlikely that people learn about unions at home. For me that wasn’t true as my father was a Teamster for most of his working career and many of my relatives were also in unions. One of my early memories of unionism is when the janitors in my elementary school went on strike and the teachers supported them by refusing to clean the classrooms. I asked my father about it and he explained that all the janitors were trying to do was to improve their lives and the teachers were helping because in the future they would rely on support from the janitors when it was their turn to bargain. My dad went through a couple of strikes while I was growing up and he did very well for his family. I learned that it is much better to stick together than to stand alone, but to the professor’s point I didn’t really learn what unions do until I became a member in my late teens.

Well what do unions do? For all of my adult life I have been a member, steward or officer of various unions. Some of them were effective and some less so. What unions do of course is provide a sense of balance and security to the workforce. They do this by maintaining a grievance system that allows workers the right to a voice in the workplace that they normally wouldn’t enjoy. In addition they bargain collectively to provide fair compensation and benefits for work performed. Unions that vigorously protect their members rights through contract enforcement and negotiations while progressively attempting to ensure that they are ahead of technology are obviously more effective that those that do not. But that’s not all. As pointed out in the professor’s article unions also provide benefits to companies. Specifically the benefit of a happy secure workforce will produce more than one that is less happy and less secure. 

In an interesting aside the professor points out in his article the use of the word workforce can even come with negative connotations. After all who wants to be considered a worker, especially amongst college grads or professionals?  Well the truth of the matter is doctors, lawyers, teachers and nurses among other professions have organized segments. And really when you think about it why not? You do not need to be a professor of labor relations to understand that we all do better when we strive to achieve similar goals. Working together provides far more benefits than going it alone. Many of us would like to believe that’s not true but it is all the same. 

I applaud the professor for his insights in this article and hope his idea comes to pass. 

This Labor Day please take time to reflect on the real meaning of the holiday. A stronger labor movement ultimately means a stronger economy and a stronger country as a result. Never forget – ours is a noble and patriotic endeavor!

Happy Labor Day Brothers and Sisters.