Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

Autism Speaks

Some of you know, and others do not but my two youngest sons are deaf and both also suffer autism spectrum disorder. When my wife and I first learned this, it truly felt like a death sentence. However as time went by and we learned how to help them manage their lives, we both realized it was not a death sentence, only a different path in life. Along the way we learned sign language, advocacy and patience along with other skills that made us into the people we are. Normally I wouldn't share this but I witnessed a young man at the convention in Las Vegas who is blind and autistic sing the National Anthem and Lean on Me. His performance was inspiring to say the least. One thing I know, having lived it, even given the challenges he faces he will be successful in life because of his drive. My middle son had the same determination and eventually received a full scholarship at Gallaudet University. My youngest son still continues the struggle with autism but he grows more every day. Here are the links to Christopher Duffley singing at the convention. The National Anthem and Lean on Me.

If you would like to learn more about Autism please visit Autism Speaks. And if you are looking to donate money please consider this fine organization.