Search This Blog

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Democracy Drives Effective Unions

This is the headline from the CDU "newsletter" received by many of us recently. The previous blog post dealt with some of the items contained in the latest issue so I will not go deep into it again.

I bring this subject up again because of an e-mail I received this morning as well as several phone calls.

First I would like to share the e-mail and here is a link to the copy. The document speaks for itself but I felt it was relevant because it speaks to the heart of Union democracy. A quick overview is that District Lodge 141 of the IAM agreed to several things without a membership vote. The largest issue is a complete revamp of sick leave policy and discipline surrounding its use. The District has agreed to change over from the old non punitive system, like the one we use, to a point system to make it easier to discharge members. The dependability issue has a long history with many problems, which require change, but should this be done with no member input or buyoff? Is this the democracy the CDU is pushing?

Second I would like to address the phone calls I have received. Since details of this have leaked to the Ramp membership they are calling our office requesting Teamster authorization cards because they feel they continue to be sold out. This was a big surprise to me as many Ramp people have expressed interest in signing IBT cards; however it is usually lighthearted with no real concern on their part. The calls I'm getting now are full of desperation and exasperation. Is this maybe the change the CDU is pushing us toward?

For my part, respectfully, I have to say no thank you.

Bob