Search This Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Weekly report 8-7-09

General Items

I feel it is important that I apologize for a couple of seniority mistakes I made recently. I try to research major issues prior to interpreting the Agreement. I utilize all the tools available including reading the Agreement and any relevant supporting documentation, as well as conferring with both previous Union's representatives. After I did all of this I could find no supporting documentation to prove a local practice in Washington was valid. However this week, after previously making a couple of seniority application decisions, I found supporting documentation showing that I was wrong. I was able to correct most of the errors this week and continue to work on a couple more. With that said I will continue to exhaust all avenues prior to making these interpretations and I would ask for your help in the process. As you know there are some holes in our history, so if you have saved any relevant files or information that you think would be useful in the interpretation of the Agreement, please share them with me so I can make the most informed decisions possible.

The Airline Division website is up and running and it contains very useful information. The dashboard is a great place to get current and constantly updated news on our industry. The forums provide an avenue to discuss or debate all things involving the mechanic and related class and craft. I encourage you to check it out and participate in the forum. The best way for the Union to represent you is for you to voice your opinions.

The Twitter poll is finished and it seems mechanics don't use this service. I am like most of you in that I never used it prior to doing this poll. There is a lot of information on Twitter, but to me it seems like more work than it's worth. Thanks to those of you that participated in the poll.

I am on vacation for the upcoming week returning for negotiations on the 17th in Chicago. There will be no updates during that time. Because I'm going to Latrobe, Tony Urso asked that I post pictures of his favorite team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, at training camp but I don't think that will be possible. Sorry Tony.

MM

This week several first steps were resolved. The Inspector openings have been reposted. The fixed days for the Cabin Crew lead have been removed.

The Cabin Crew subcommittee will be meeting with the Company on the 27th of this month in Chicago. As I've told many of you, I feel the committee has a compelling proposal and I am hopeful we can succeed in changing the Company's position on this. I know the Company continues to pull members off this crew to do line work. I ask that on those nights you are pulled off you provide me with documentation in the form of your work assignments to help with our presentation to the Company.

GQ

I wish I could report there was nothing new in the shop this week. Unfortunately the Company rescinded the two recall notices this week. What made this particularly heinous was the timing. Both mechanics were to report this coming Monday, but received notice on Wednesday their jobs were unavailable. We work in a crappy industry and have become used to layoffs but this was a new low.

PV

The Labor/Management meeting was held on Wednesday but it was only the Manager and the Committee that met. We had several discussions on what was happening with the shop. I asked and Steve agreed that Grievance timelines would follow the monthly schedule of the meetings. The next regular meeting will be held on the 26th at 2:15pm.

That's all for now,

Bob