Search This Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Weekly report 03-29-09

This week the Organizers Conference was held in D.C. Unfortunately I was unable to attend because of prior commitments. One of the most important aspects of the Conference was the lobbying that took place on our behalf. The issue that the group lobbied for was the moratorium on overseas aircraft overhauls. Tom Reid attended the Conference and told me the number of people lobbying was very impressive. If you do not receive the "Week in Review" and would like to see the language of the proposed bill, let me know and I will forward it to you.

As for negotiations the IBT site is now up and running. It can be found here. There is a permanent link now at the top of the blog as well as one on the homepage of the website. The Negotiating Committee will meet with the Company for our first face to face meetings on April 14th. The Company currently also has a negotiations update site which I have looked at. I've decided not to post a link to the site because through the last negotiations the Company did a great job of disseminating bogus information. They are the opposition in this process, so I'm sure their site will be a continuing source of propaganda. Because of this, I feel it would be a huge disservice to the membership to post a link here.

For MM the big news this week is that the hangar is on hold. I'm told this decision will be reviewed again in June. There is also still talk about moving the 767 A checks here, but I'm not optimistic at this point. I talked with both Don and Ron this week regarding outstanding second step grievances and we are going to try to wrap them up this week. I inherited a third step from Newark, regarding seniority application, because the member now works at Dulles. I am going to review this grievance with Bob Luciano the week after next because he is in negotiations with CAL this coming week. As you may have heard several people have been recalled to Denver. I believe two from here have been offered recall. In addition I've heard that the remaining people here from Denver have been offered temporary assignments there because of the continuing workload. Unfortunately this does not translate into recalls for our displaced members at this time.

For GQ/PV the meeting on the outsourcing of the nine stations will happen on April 2nd in Chicago. When I have more information I'll pass it on to you.

Back to the lobbying efforts, if you would like to help in the future please e-mail me so that I can add you to the list. I know it's difficult to donate your time but there is another way to help. For as little as four dollars a check you can contribute to D.R.I.V.E. This is the Teamsters PAC that brings our agenda to our Legislators. I have the forms in the office if you need one.

That's all for this week,
Bob

No comments: