Search This Blog

Friday, December 26, 2008

Weekly report 12-26-08

Hello Everyone,

I have started a new website at www.rcfisher.org. The website will be a supplement to the blog. The blog will be the primary news source for now. I was unable to host documents or pictures on the blog, so the website will handle those items. For now the website has contract proposal forms, many mechanic contracts and the online first step grievance form. If you would like to see something added to the site let me know. I hope you find these tools helpful.

This week a couple of second steps were closed out because after further review there was no merit to move them forward. I would like you all to be aware that the company is looking at each form closely because they have lost several thousand dollars worth of bypass grievances lately. They are attempting to deny grievances that are incomplete by pushing us past the thirty day limit and telling us we are too late. We can all avoid this if when speaking to a Steward about a grievance we remember the five W's. They are who, what, why, where, and when. If you have researched a possible bypass and have as much information as possible to turn over to the Steward, the chances of winning your grievance are much better. I have been guilty of this as well as everyone else. We have had an easy time at IAD of getting grievances paid with little effort on our part, but that is changing. Please remember that any grievance should be treated as if it has the potential to go to arbitration.

In MM this week two grievances were moved up to the second step for discipline issues. It is my opinion that there were mitigating factors that the company failed to take into consideration. Also I will be traveling to San Francisco on Monday and meeting with Mark Prpich and several other Grievance Coordinators to do the system shakedown. Anyone affected here will have a layoff date of January 24th. I will call back on Tuesday in the afternoon to let you know how many members will be secondarily bumped from here.

In GQ/PV there were some problems with the final checks. I will be proceeding with a grievance on this issue as it is unreasonable to have to wait for money the company owes you after you are laid off. Eric Harger is working with the station manager on an attempt to in-source some more work. The preliminary ideas are sound, and hopefully the company is starting to listen to our ideas. The recent development from the Chicago meetings gives me some hope that they are listening.

I have received letters from both my Senators regarding the TAA/ATAA issue, and they were both positive. To date I have not heard back from Speaker Pelosi, Leader Reid, or the President Elects transition team but I will let you know when I do.

The Southwest mechanics got a tentative agreement from a modified section six negotiation according to the AMFA National website. They did well on the money but had to give up language to get raises. An article on the tentative can be found here.

That's all for this week,
Bob