Search This Blog

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Weekly update 10-18-08

This week marks the last day of work for the mechanics being bumped in the secondary layoffs. Of the five being bumped three stayed because of either voluntary layoff or moving to another shop. I expect the next round to go much deeper due to the scale of the December round. The IBT is reviewing the current round with regards to possible violations of the CBA.

There have been two third step grievances filed this week for the two mechanics unable to hold the point. One of the mechanics that was bumped has the opportunity to take a test for another shop so one of these may be withdrawn if the mechanic is successful.

At Bob Luciano's suggestion I have written a letter to the station manager at IAD regarding the shop in BAL. She has responsibility for the BAL station and I informed her that there was an opportunity to make money with this shop utilizing the paint spray booth. She was on vacation this week and I asked her to call Bob next week to discuss this.

In GQ the management team has still not finalized the ten hour day schedule.

In PV a grievance was filed for an Art. XI I violation.

I will be out of the office for approximately 10 or 11 days so if you need assistance Tom will be in the office. An agreement was reached with both the MM and GQ/PV management that time limits for second steps will be extended until I get back.

Also vacation rules will be discussed in MM on my return but I was told unless I agreed to shift vacation bidding there would be no changes. If you believe this to be an unfair way to negotiate rules please let management know.

Early voting has started in both WV and VA. These states are considered battleground states and it is important we vote to install a labor friendly government moving forward. Early voting is quick and easy especially considering the record turnout expected on election day.

That's all for this week,
Bob