Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2008

Weekly update 8-22-08

Today Tom Reid started a safety related blog. It can be found here, http://http://iadsafety.blogspot.com/ Tom expects to post regular updates so check back often.

This week in MM I asked again for cargo 6 parking passes. Also I requested east reserve passes for motorcycles. The company asked and MWAA has rejected these requests. A reason is needed for the cargo 6 area. If our equipment is stored in that area then we can request these passes again. A second step hearing was held on Thursday for the open vacancy grievance. When and if it is denied it will be processed to third step. There was a question from a laid off member of whether he should have received his recall notice. After researching it was found his notice was sent in 2006. Questions were raised about overseas field services and an agreement from the New York area was brought to light. After researching this, there is an arbitration case from Miami I am looking for to get some clarification.

In GQ the ten hour day continues to meet it's goals. There are thoughts of expansion of this schedule in the shop.

In PV a discussion was held regarding OT call sheet charging. Currently the company is updating the OT hours in a random fashion. I will address this with Mark next week. Also there was a discussion of possible implementation of the ten hour schedule in PV. I made the suggestion they begin putting together a plan showing it could work in the shop. I also suggested they should talk to the people responsible for presenting this idea to Mark in the GQ shop.

There continues to be discrepancies in the way we are treated as opposed to TSA employees coming to work. When you see these people walking through with their water, soda pop and pudding I suggest you direct your complaints to this address, https://contact.tsa.dhs.gov/gotfeedback/GotFeedback.aspx I would also follow it up with a letter to your Senators and Congressmen.

Tom and I are planning a station visit to Baltimore sometime next week. It will probably be either Wednesday or Thursday.

I ran out of membership applications this week. When I receive more I will finish this process. There are less than ten needed to finish. I am also close to running out of the Employee Free Choice Act cards. Thank you all for your response to this very important issue.



On Thursday I met with a representative of the Star Alliance Union Coalition. For those that remember Ted Trynock he is an AGC with District 141 of the IAM and representative on this coalition. Ted briefed me on the general goals of the coalition. He also said to say hello to all that remember him.



WARN act notices have gone out across the system and our first layoffs should occur around October 5th. Currently it looks like there will be a number of openings at IAD. The number continues to change and when I'm told the exact number I'll let you know.



That's all for this week,

Bob