Search This Blog

Friday, August 29, 2008

Weekly update 8-29-08

This week several issues were brought to me.

In the MM department one of the first things I was asked this week is, when are the contractors going to finish the C-19 restroom? I brought this to management and they appear to be as frustrated as we are. My suggestion is that you send an e-note or e-mail to Sherri Kawell the Station Manager and ask when she expects the upgrades to be finished. Another item was an outside vendor loading software on 757’s. From what I have found out once a month the vendor that sold United the system loads the software for the movie changes. I will look into this further next week. Also I am continuing to wait for an answer on the vacancy 2nd step. As many of you know it appears there will be an increase at Dulles of approximately 46 mechanics. In talking to Don Burbank he told me this is a direct result of the amount of work currently being accomplished at this station. He is very impressed with the output from the new ten-hour shifts.

On Wednesday Tom and I visited with the mechanics at BWI. There are a few issues that we are working on as a result of this visit. These include seniority and outsourcing questions, as well as safety related to outside vendors.

In PV this week overtime lists not being posted was addressed with Dave Hunter. In addition I called Dave Nash to have him change ESS to allow PV mechanics access to the daily OT lists. Dave told me he would look at it next week as he thinks the PV group has an earlier version of ESS. Also some one left a note on my desk that the PV department would like new vacation rules for next year. I agree they need to be changed and have talked to Mark about this. If any of the PV mechanics have ideas about what they would like please feel free to contact me.

In GQ a question was asked about the maintenance of the new Pratt and Whitney truck. At this point after talking to local management no decision has been made as to who will maintain the back of the truck.

The Teamsters have updated their website. You can now sign up to view members’ only portions of the site.

There was a good article this week on oil speculation in the Washington Post. It can be found here http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/20/AR2008082003898.html?hpid%3Dtopnews&sub=AR

That’s all for this week,
Bob